06/07/2021 0 Comments
5 Ways to Keep Your Eyes Protected at the Beach
The beach is a great place to relax and enjoy some time outdoors. However, it’s important to be careful to protect your eyes as the exposure to sunlight can damage them. UV rays can impact your vision and increase your chances of developing macular degeneration and cataracts. So, if you’re planning on heading to the beach this summer, follow these tips to keep your eyes protected.
- Avoid touching your eyes. When you’re at the beach, sand tends to get everywhere. It sticks to your body, bathing suit, feet, and hands. For this reason, it’s a good idea to avoid touching your face. If you inadvertently get sand in your eyes, don’t rub them. Use a saline solution or clean water to flush the particles out of your eyes.
- Remove your contact lenses. If you swim in the water, your contacts can trap dirt and germs on the surface of your eyes. If this occurs, they can become a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses. The next time you go to the beach, leave your contacts at home and wear prescription sunglasses instead.
- Wear sunglasses. Invest in a quality pair of broad-spectrum sunglasses. They will protect your eyes from UV rays and shield them against blowing sand. Look for sunglasses with complete protection from UVA and UVB rays. Also, consider getting polarized lenses, which reduce bright reflections and eliminate glare.
- Bring a hat. In addition to wearing sunscreen, make sure to pack a cap or sun hat for your trip to the beach. A wide brim will help shade your eyes and provide additional protection from the sun’s UV rays. Even the best sunglasses have a gap along the sides where light can enter. To completely shade your eyes from the sun, wear a hat along with your sunglasses.
- Wear goggles. Goggles can help you see underwater while preventing water from entering your eyes. You can also get sports goggles to protect your eyes when you play volleyball and other beach sports. Talk to a professional at the Optometrists’ Clinic Inc. about prescription goggles.
Sunglasses in Edmonton and the Surrounding Area
Optometrists’ Clinic Inc. offers eyewear and comprehensive eye exams from our five locations in Edmonton, Leduc and Westlock. We carry a range of fashionable frames and specialty lenses including transition and polarized lenses, lens coatings, sports frames, and more. Contact us today to discuss your vision needs with a member of our team.