15/03/2022 0 Comments
Eyewear Best Practices - Do’s and Don’ts
Prescription eyewear can be a considerable investment, and both glasses and contact lenses can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars each year. In addition to the financial burden, it often takes time to find the perfect frames or lenses. Fortunately, proper care and maintenance can help you protect your investment and extend the lifespan of your eyewear. Here’s some advice on how to take care of your prescription glasses and contacts.
Caring for contact lenses
Here are some of the things you should and shouldn’t do if you wear contact lenses:
- Do wash your hand thoroughly with soap and water before touching your eyes or handling your contact lenses.
- Do use an approved disinfecting solution to clean your contact lenses every time you remove them. You can visit one of our five locations in Edmonton to purchase a quality contact lens solution.
- Do replace your contacts as often as needed. Follow your optometrist’s recommendations.
- Don’t wear your contact lenses to bed. Always remove them before going to sleep. You should also take them out before swimming and showering.
- Don’t rub your eyes while wearing your contact lenses.
Caring for eyeglasses
Here are a few tips for maintaining your glasses:
- Do remove your glasses using both hands. Taking them off with one hand can place pressure on the hinges, and you may inadvertently end up bending or breaking your frames.
- Do store your glasses in a hard-shell case to protect them. Setting them down unprotected can lead to accidents.
- Do clean them properly using warm water and a bit of dish detergent. You can also use an approved lens cleaning spray, but avoid harsh household cleaners.
- Do have regular eye exams to monitor changes in your vision and adjust your prescription accordingly.
- Don’t use paper towels or tissue paper to wipe your glasses. These materials may seem soft, but they’re not meant to be used on prescription lenses. Even the smallest particles can scratch your lenses. Instead, use the microfibre cleaning cloth that comes with your glasses.
- Don’t leave your glasses in the car. Glasses, especially those with plastic frames, are susceptible to heat damage.
Prescription eyewear in Edmonton
The friendly staff at Optometrists Clinic Inc can help you find the right eyewear for your needs. We offer a wide selection of designer frames and contact lenses. We also provide adjustment and repair services. To learn more about our products and services, contact us today.