29/08/2019 0 Comments
Choosing the Best Lenses for Your Sunglasses
Many people don’t think past the frame when choosing sunglasses. However, the right lens will ensure that your eyes are protected from the sun’s harsh rays. Here are some factors to consider when buying your next pair of sunglasses.
A pair of sunglasses’ most important job is to protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. Always choose sunglasses equipped with lenses that protect your eyes from both UVA and UVB rays.
The material your lenses are made of will affect their clarity, weight and durability.
• Plastic. Lightweight and with great optical performance, plastic is the most popular material used to make lenses today. It doesn’t offer UV protection, so a coating needs to be added to provide proper sun protection.
The colour of the lens you choose will depend on how you’re planning on using your sunglasses.
• Grey is one of the most popular colours for sunglasses because it works well on sunny and cloudy days, doesn’t distort colour and reduces glare. A good all-purpose lens colour.
• Brown lenses are perfect for sunny days. They enhance contrast against green and blue backgrounds, making them a good choice for golf, fishing, hunting and water sports.
• Green lenses combine the best of grey and brown lenses. They work in all types of light, provide excellent contrast and show colours accurately. Choose green lenses for driving, cycling or everyday wear.
• Yellow is the top choice for people who need to focus in hazy or low-light conditions. Perfect for winter sports because it sharpens vision and filters the brightness sunlight reflecting on the snow, which can seriously damage your eyes.
Lens coatings and treatments
There are many treatments to consider when choosing the perfect lenses.
• Polarized lenses reduce glare from surfaces like water, asphalt and snow
• Mirrored lenses also reduce glare and also provide a stylish look
• Photochromatic lenses change tints depending on the lighting conditions, making them perfect for people who wear glasses and still want sun protection
Your source for glasses of all kinds
The helpful team at any of the five Optometrists’ Clinic Inc. locations will help you find the perfect sunglasses for your lifestyle. Contact us today for an appointment or stop by to see the models we have in stock.